Re: LIVE - Champions League: Barcelona v Manchester United

BBC's Jonathan Stevenson, believes in these possible line-ups.

Barca: Valdes; Alves, Abidal, Puyol, Pique; Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Pedro, Messi.
Man United: Van der Sar; Fabio, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Carrick, Park, Giggs, Valencia, Fletcher/Hernandez, Rooney.

hmmm. I feel that is is unlikely that Fletcher will start the game. For him it is at least two weeks too early for such a big game!

Manchester United's Patrice Evra: 

"Barcelona are very good at keeping the ball but football is not about keeping the ball, it is about scoring goals. It is an opportunity to win the Champions League. Maybe for some it will be the first chance, for others it will be the last."

Barcelona's Xavi: 

"Manchester United are on a spectacular level; all the footballers are at an extraordinary level. They haven't only got talent - they work well in defence, they are compact, they have many variants in attack. They have many options."

I agree, game has come too soon for Fletcher too start. Seems the journalist has got the Da Silva twins mixed up, Rafael will start at right back.

If he scores tonight, Hernandez will become the second Mexican to bag in a Euro final after Real Madrid's Hugo Sanchez in the 1986 Uefa Cup.

Justin wrote:

I agree, game has come too soon for Fletcher too start. Seems the journalist has got the Da Silva twins mixed up, Rafael will start at right back.

well. Fabio has been strong when he has played this season, we might get surprised Justin.. But I like you believe Rafael will start. What if Fergie decides to bring in O'Shea or Smalling as full-back instead of Fabio or Rafael. What a shocker that would have been!

31 goals have been scored in the 10 previous meetings between Man Utd & Barcelona; 3.1 per game on average.

Reports from Wembley now suggests Fletcher will start instead of Hernandez in a five man midfield. Will he be ready??

Not surprised if true. Midfield will decide this game. Remember, 2008 Champions League Semi Final at Old Trafford, Fergie flooded the midfield and they won through Paul Scholes.

Last edited by Justin (2011-05-28 15:23:53)

Barcelona biding too become the 6th club too win a third European Cup in a five year cycle. Only Real Madrid, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Liverpool and AC Milan have accomplished this feat.

Justin wrote:

Not surprised if true. Midfield will decide this game. Remember, 2008 Champions League Semi Final at Old Trafford, Fergie flooded the midfield and they won through Paul Scholes.

Ahh remember.. I believe a 5-man midfield is almost guaranteed for United in this one.

but Fletcher. hmm.. I still doubt he is ready for the game..