Topic: Sir Matt Busby Quotes
Quotes By Sir Matt Busby
1. "It was a very simple team talk. All I used to say was 'Whenever possible, give the ball to George'" (George Best of course!)
2."Nobby Stiles a dirty player? No, he's never hurt anyone. Mind you, he's frightened a few!"
3. "He (George Best) was able to use either foot - sometimes he seemed to have six."
4. "I never wanted Manchester United to be second to anybody. Only the best would be good enough."
5. “In all modesty, my summing up of 1955-6 and 1956-7 must be that no club in the country could live with Manchester United.”
6. "He (Bobby Charlton) was idolized from his twentieth year on."
7. "If you don't put them in, you can't know what you've got."
8."Resting in Interlaken, Germany was one thing and facing Old Trafford another. When I approached the ground and moved over the bridge along which our supporters had squeezed fifty abreast in there tens of thousands to shout for us I could scarcely bear to look. I new the ghosts of the babes would still be there, and there they are still, and they will always be there as long as those who saw them still cross the bridge, young, gay, red ghosts on the green grass of Old Trafford."
9. "Over the years people called several players the new Duncan Edwards...first Dave Mackay, the Bryan Robson. But none of them came close. He was the only player that made me feel inferior."
10. "I do not worry about conceding goals because I know my forwards will double it at the other end."
11. "Manchester is my Heaven."
12. “Winning isn’t everything. There should be no conceit in victory and no despair in defeat.”
Quotes About Sir Matt Busby
1. "Matt was the eternal optimist. In 1968 he still hoped Glenn Miller was just missing". - Paddy Crerand
2. "It would have been Sir Matt Busby’s 90th birthday today, but I think he was up there doing a lot of kicking." - Sir Alex Ferguson
3. "I'm privileged to have followed Sir Matt because all you have to do is to try and maintain the standards that he set so many years ago." - Sir Alex Ferguson
4. "How would you like to be manager of the best club in the country?" Shankly replied, "Why? Is Matt Busby packing it in?" - Bill Shankly (when being approached by a Liverpool director to be offered the vacant manager's job at Liverpool).
5. "Im not fit to polish Busby's shoes" - Bill Shankly