Re: R.I.P Gary Speed - Wales boss Speed dies aged 42

The front page of the Sun today. A tribute to Gary Speed:

http://i42.tinypic.com/ak8uit.jpg

Bolton chairman PHIL GARTSIDE admitted: "We are all stunned at the news. Not only was he a top-class professional, he was a wonderful person who is very fondly remembered by all of us."

Leeds boss SIMON GRAYSON, an Elland Road apprentice alongside Speed, said: "It is just an unbelievably sad day. Speedo was a true friend and a very, very popular man.

"We signed on the same day and played in the youth and reserve teams together. We also did all our coaching badges together. This is a hard time for everybody."

Former Leeds player Gordon Strachan on Gary Speed: "People have problems in football and you have an indication that you need to keep an eye on someone - but this was right out of the blue. It's hard for us as friends to understand."

Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers' Association, joins the tributes to Gary Speed, saying: "I've never known of such grief and loss. He was so popular, so friendly and I never heard a bad word about him. A real light has gone out in the football world."

Former Wales striker John Hartson tells Radio 5 Live, discussing Gary Speed: "When I got the news, it was shocking and heartbreaking. Bobby Gould told me. I didn't really want to face people. It's such a tragedy. He was such a lovely fellow. We couldn't see it coming."

Football League chairman Greg Clarke on Gary Speed: "Gary's death at such a young age is an absolute tragedy and the thoughts of the Football League and its clubs are with his family, friends and all his colleagues at the Football Association of Wales.

"He was a model professional throughout an exceptional playing career and, as expected, he had quickly become a manager of huge potential. Gary was held in great esteem throughout the domestic game and his passing is a great loss to football in both Wales and England."

Spurs defender Kyle Walker has described working with Gary Speed as a young player at Sheffield United as a privilege: "I heard the news yesterday morning when my mum called me and I was gutted.

"I worked with him at Sheffield United where he was a coach and it was a big step for me in my playing career. He was exactly as he came across, he was fantastic and it was a privilege to know him," he said.

Wales and Spurs winger Gareth Bale pays his tribute to Wales manager Gary Speed: "It was a massive shock, I don't think anybody ever thought anything like this would happen. Everyone is devastated and it is a massive loss to everyone in football.

"It is a tragedy, everyone still can't get their head around it and all our condolences go out to his family and his kids.We were on the up, he changed the way we play and the whole mentality of our game. It is a massive loss, but we will try and carry on the best we can in his honour."

Everton manager David Moyes pays tribute to Gary Speed: "Gary was a great servant to Everton during his time at Goodison and myself and the rest of the squad were as shocked as the rest of the footballing world when we heard the news.

"It's hard to understand and obviously the thoughts and prayers of everyone connected with the club are with the family at what is a very difficult time."

David Beckham, at an LA Galaxy press conference in Jakarta, said about Gary Speed: "He was an amazing and talented player, one who had a glittering career, and he had just started a great career in management.

"On behalf of myself and everyone at LA Galaxy, we would like to send our love and thoughts to his wife, children and family because it is a sad time to lose a man like this."

Former Newcastle manager and player Alan Shearer "is still numb" at the tragic death of Gary Speed who he describes as one of his "best friends." "I'm still numb and still shocked like everyone else is - you read things in the newspapers, but this doesn't happen to one of your best mates," Shearer said.

Alan Shearer on Gary Speed: "I'm so sad and shocked and feel for Louise and his two boys and his parents. I can't imagine the pain they are going through. It's just hard, really difficult."

Alan Shearer on Gary Speed: "I was with him on Saturday afternoon, watching the Stoke Blackburn game, and was arranging next weekend he was coming up with his wife to stay at my house, we were going to various charity dinners on Friday and Saturday. I left the studio, shook his hand at about half two and I went to Old Trafford to watch the Manchester United Newcastle game. I shook his hand and said see you next weekend. Unfortunately I won't."