Topic: 5. round round up

It was an interesting weekend in Barcelona. The derby match was really interesting, but as it is in soccer the referee had to be the main actor of the night. Barcelona got their 3 points, but they will try to forget this night ASAP.

I'm really impressed with the way Valencia is playing under coach Unai. This weekend they showed no mercy to the Deportivo La Coruna site. Goals from Mata, Villa (2) and Joaquin showed that Los Che are really in top form, and Villa is the main candidate for the top scorers prise.

It was also a good weekend for the other title contender and the top scorer candidate. Giusseppe Rossi came back after his injury and scored the decisive goal in the Sporting Gijon - Villareal game.

Current champions Real Madrid, had a really hard game in Sevilla, where they got the three points thanks to Ruun van Nistelrooy goal in the last minute of the game.

I'm also impressed by UD Almeria. This team without really big stars managed to gain 10 points and is now on the 6th position in the table. Really impressive.

I though that Racing Santander would be fighting for the UEFA Cup qualification, and it seems that Almeria will take their place, as Racing is really underachieving in last games. Loosing 1:2 against Mallorka was another poor result for this site.

After 5 round of La Liga definitely Valencia with David Villa are the biggest stars of the league and Racing Santander is the biggest disappointment.

Re: 5. round round up

Its a delight to read your round up's on Spanish football after each round, mike! smile

Real were pretty lucky with that late goal by Nistelrooy. And I agree with you that Valencia have been great under new coach Unai.

Valencia is realy the best team in Spain at the moment. They have a very strong team and I believe Barca and Real Madrid will struggle to catch Valencia this season.

When it comes to Racing Santander. Have they realy brought in the right players this summer? I do not believe they have a good enough team to fight close to the top of the La Liga this season.

One quick question. What youngster do you believe have been best so far this season in La Liga?

Yeah. Agree with both of you guys on this one.

Valencia are the best team at the moment. IF they continue like that, they will probably win la liga this season.

When it comes to Racing.. these are their transfer market activities this summer:

Racing Santander

In: Jonathan Pereira (loan, Villareal), Laszlo Sepsi (loan, Benfica), Mehdi Lacen (free, Alaves), Nicolas Pareja (undisclosed, Anderlecht), Nene (undisclosed, Monaco), Juan Valera (loan, Atletico Madrid), Peter Luccin (undisclosed, Real Zaragoza), Nikola Zigic (loan, Valencia)

Out: Ezequiel Garay (€10 mil, Real Madrid), Juan Jesus Calatayud (free, Hercules), Ayoze Diaz (free, Mallorca), Roberto Platero (free, Numancia), Danny Szetela (loan, Brescia), Aldo Duscher (€3m initially, Sevilla), Ivan Bolado (loan, Elche), Ebi Smolarek (loan, Bolton), Brian Sormiento (loan, Xerez), Vitolo (free, Aris Salonika), Jorge Lopez (undisclosed, Real Zaragoza)

I do not believe the players they have brought in are too impressive, compared to the rest of the teams in la liga.....

Racing did not do big transfers, but also did not sell any good players.
The transfer of Garay - the biggest star of Racing is agreed for the end of the season, so he is actually still playing for Racing.
Zigic can be a big impact - he played in Racing before he moved to Valencia, and after not being impressive there he now comes back.

The truth is that Pedro Munitis is injured and it seems that he is still very important player for the club.
Racing will come back to form, as they are a solid team.

As for the youngsters I would pick Mata - he is a great talent and now he started to prove it.
And to add for the best transfer I would pick Rafael van der Vaart - he can be a crucial player for this years championship campaign. With this sort of quality in midfield Real is the strongest team in Spain.

Yeah... Pedro Munitis is pretty good, I agree on that. Any news on when he will be back from his injury?

Rafael van der Vaart was a good pice of deal for Real madrid yes. What is it with Spain and Dutch players?  Spanish clubs seems to be in love with them??