Topic: Premier League 09-10

In this topic I will write my picks for the games in the Premier League this season. I will also post some team news now and then and some other types of information.

Team home pages:

Arsenal - www.arsenal.com
Aston Villa - www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk
Birmingham City - www.blues.premiumtv.co.uk
Blackburn - www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk
Bolton - www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk
Burnley - www.burnleyfootballclub.premiumtv.co.uk
Chelsea - www.chelseafc.com
Everton - www.evertonfc.com
Fulham - www.fulhamfc.com
Hull City - www.hullcityafc.premiumtv.co.uk
Liverpool - www.liverpoolfc.tv
Manchester City - www.mcfc.co.uk
Manchester United - www.manutd.com
Portsmouth - www.portsmouthfc.co.uk
Stoke City - www.stokecityfc.premiumtv.co.uk
Sunderland - www.safc.com
Tottenham - www.tottenhamhotspur.com
West Ham - www.whufc.com
Wigan Athletic - www.wiganlatics.premiumtv.co.uk
Wolverhampton Wanderers - www.wolves.premiumtv.co.uk

Re: Premier League 09-10

Premier League 15 and 16 August

- Saturday -

Chelsea - Hull City
Last season: 0-0
The Blues have impressed in pre-season and managed to win the Community Shield against Manchester United. Chelsea should get off to a perfect start and win this game.
Chelsea to win with 0-1 handicap.

Aston Villa - Wigan
Few goals here last season. The hosts have been very strong in pre-season and I believe Martin O'Neill's team will win this game at Villa Park.
Aston Villa to win.

Blackburn - Manchester City
Last season: 2-2
City are one of the teams that will be most interesting to watch at the start of this season. Plenty of big signings this summer, but can they manage to beat Blackburn? I believe many goals is the best pick in this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

Bolton - Sunderland
Sunderland have been good in the pre-season and it will be interesting to see what Steve Bruce can manage to get out of this team this season.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Portsmouth - Fulham
Last season: 1-1
Most of their recent meetings have ended with few goals and I believe it will be close between these two this time around as well.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Stoke - Burnley
Last season: Not played.
It will be interesting to see what newly-promoted Burnley can manage to do in the Premier League. Stoke were pritty decent last season. Should be close and I expect few goals.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Wolves - West Ham
West Ham have been good under Gianfranco Zola and it will be interesting to see what he can do with his team this season. Wolves were strong in the Championship last season, but this is aanother level. But I actually believe there could be a surpise in this one.
Wolves to win.

Everton - Arsenal
This is a game between two teams that will challenge for a Champions League spot this season. Should be close but I believe Arsene Wenger can manage to bring out the best of his team this season.
Arsenal to win.

- Sunday -

Manchester United - Birmingham
This is a game that United should manage to win in their battle to defend their Premier League title. Lost Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo this summer, but should put up a good battle for the Premier League title anyways.
Manchester United to win with 0-1 handicap.

Tottenham - Liverpool
Last season:  2-1
Tottenham won here last season and I believe Harry Redknapp can manage to bring out the best of his team and get some points from this game. It will be interesting to see what Liverpool can do without Xabi Alonso.
Tottenham to win.

Premier League 18 and 19 August

- Tuesday -

Sunderland - Chelsea
Last season: 2-3
Chelsea managed a lucky win in their first game and I was not impressed. Sunderland showed quality away against Bolton. Could be close.
More than 2.5 goals.

Wigan - Wolves
Wigan have a good team and Roberto Martinez's team should be able to take the points against Wolverhampton.
Wigan to win.

- Wednesday -

Birmingham - Portsmouth
Birmingham lost only 0-1 away at Manchester United and I believe they could manage to get a result against Pompey in this game.
Birmingham to win.

Burnley - Manchester United
This is a game Manchester United must win and should have no problems winning. United failed to impress me against Birmingham, but won the game.
Manchester United to win and Michael Owen to score.

Hull - Tottenham
Last season: 1-2
Tottenham managed a strong win at home against Liverpool while Hull lost away. Spurs won here last season but I believe it could be a close one.
Draw.

Liverpool - Stoke
Liverpool failed to impress me against Tottenham in their opening game this season. The Reds are also struggling with some minor injury problems. Stoke had a great start to their season, but Liverpool should win this game at home, or they could be out of the race for the Premier League title already.
Liverpool to win.

Premier League 22, 23 and 24 August

- Saturday -

Arsenal - Portsmouth
Last season: 1-0
The Gunners impressed me in their first game of the season against Everton and I believe they will continue to impress in this one.
Arsenal to win with 0-1 handicap.

Birmingham - Stoke
Stoke struggled away to Liverpool but won at home against Burnley so far. Birmingham managed to beat Pompey at home.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Hull - Bolton
Last season: 0-1
Hull have had an poor start to the season but Bolton did not impress me at home to Sunderland. Should be close.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Manchester City - Wolves
Manchester City should have no problems winning this game and the game should be pritty one way.
Manchester City to win with 0-1 handicap.

Sunderland - Blackburn
Their meeting here last season ended in a goalless draw but Sunderland have been pritty decent so far this season.
Sunderland to win.

Wigan - Manchester United
Last season: 1-2
Manchester United failed to impress me against Burnley midweek and I can see them struggle a bit in this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Sunday -

West Ham - Tottenham
Last season: 0-2
Tottenham have impressed me a lot in their first two games. The Hammers managed to beat Wolves away. Could be one like last season.
Tottenham to win.

Burnley - Everton
Burnley managed to beat United at home midweek and should have a lot of condfidence going into this game.
Burnley to win.

Fulham - Chelsea
The visitors will be desperate to get a win to get the 3 points they are ahead of United and Liverpool already.
Chelsea to win.

- Monday -

Liverpool - Aston Villa
Last season: 5-0
Liverpool have not impressed too much this season but Villa managed to lose in their first game at home to Wigan.
Liverpool to win.

Premier League 29 and 30 August

- Saturday -

Chelsea - Burnley
Last season: Not Played.
Burnley have had an impressive start to the season with home wins over Manchester United and Everton. They also managed to win here in the League Cup last season, but this time I believe the hosts will be to strong.
Chelsea to win.

Blackburn - West Ham
Draw here last season and I believe it could quickly end in a draw in this meeting as well. Should be close.
Draw.

Bolton - Liverpool
Liverpool have had good control over Bolton in recent seasons, but they have had an terrible start to the season. But this is a MUST win game for the Reds.
Liverpool to win with 1-0 handicap.

Stoke - Sunderland
Stoke won here last season and have had an ok start to the season. Sunderland have had an pritty decent start to the season as well and I expect few goals in this game.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Tottenham - Birmingham
Spurs have been very strong at the start of this season and I believe they can and probably will win this game as well.
Tottenham to win with 0-1 handicap.

Wolves - Hull
Wolves have struggled so far this season but managed a win away to Wigan. Should be a close one between these two.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Manchester United - Arsenal
Goalless draw here last season but this time aorund I believe there will be some goals and there could be plenty of them. Rio Ferdinand is likely to miss the game for United.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Sunday -

Portsmouth - Manchester City
Last season: 2-0
Pompey won here last season but City have a very strong team this time around and I believe they will take the points in this one.
Manchester City to win.

Everton - Wigan
Last season: 4-0
Wigan were beaten here last season but I think it will be closer than that this season. But I believe in many goals in this game.
More than 2.5 goals.

Aston Villa - Fulham
Villa are coming off a very strong away win against Liverpool at Anfield while Fulham lost at home to Chelsea. I believe it could be a close one.
Aston Villa to win.

Premier League 12 and 13 September

- Saturday -

Blackburn - Wolves
Difficult game to predict this one as both teams have had an poor opening to the season. But I will be surprised if Rovers do not win this one.
Blackburn to win.

Liverpool - Burnley
Burnley have shocked Manchester United and Everton this season but I do not believe they can manage an away win in this game.
Liverpool to win.

Manchester City - Arsenal
Last season: 3-0
City have had an incredible start to the season and could manage to beat the Gunners in this one. I believe it will be a close one.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Portsmouth - Bolton
Pompey have struggled so far this season but Bolton have failed to impress me as well. I believe Pompey could get a win in this one.
Portsmouth to win.

Stoke - Chelsea
Chelsea face a very strong and in-form team in this one, but I believe the visitors should win this one.
Chelsea to win.

Sunderland - Hull
Sunderland have a decent team and I believe they will manage to take the points in this game against Hull.
Sunderland to win.

Wigan - West Ham
Wigan have had a very poor start to the season while the Hammers have a win and a draw from their away games so far.
West Ham to win.

Tottenham - Manchester United
Last season this game ended in a goalless draw and I believe it will be close between these two in-form teams this season as well.
Less than 2.5 goals.

- Sunday -

Birmingham - Aston Villa
Local Birmingham derby. Villa impressed with their away win over Liverpool but this should also be a tough game for them.
More than 2.5 goals.

Fulham - Everton
Everton won here 0-2 last season but should be a tougher game this season when you look at their performances so far. I believe it could be a close one.
Draw.

Premier League 19 and 20 September

- Saturday -

Burnley - Sunderland
Burnley have been strong at home so far beating Everton and Manchester United. Sunderland have been impressive so far. Should be close.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Hull City - Birmingham
Birmingham have struggled at the start of this season and I believe they will get into more trouble away to Hull City.
Hull City to win.

Arsenal - Wigan
Arsenal are coming off two defeats and are desperate for a win in this game to keep up with the teams at the top.

Bolton - Stoke
Last season: 3-1
Bolton won here last season but Stoke have a strong team that are capable of getting something from this game.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Aston Villa - Portsmouth
Villa have been ok so far this season, winning three games and loosing one. I believe this will be their fourth win.
Aston Villa to win.

West Ham - Liverpool
Last season: 0-3
Liverpool have struggled at the start of the season, but this is a game they could win. They have to attack and I believe it will be an entertaining game.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Sunday -

Manchester United - Manchester City
Last season: 2-0
The Manchester derby between two sides in form. City remain undefeated so far this season while United suffered a shocking defeat away to Burnley. I believe United will win this game.
Manchester United to win.

Wolverhampton - Fulham
This is one of the games newly-promoted Wolves should be fighting and have a chance of getting some points. But I believe it will be close.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Everton - Blackburn
Last season: 2-3
Blackburn won here last season but this year I believe it will be tougher. I expect the Toffees to win this game, but I believe it is safer with many goals.
More than 2.5 goals.

Chelsea - Tottenham
The Blues have won all of their games so far this season while Spurs have only lost at home to Manchester United. I believe in a close and entertaining game.
More than 2.5 goals.

Premier League 26, 27 and 28 September

- Saturday -

Portsmouth - Everton
Last season: 2-1
Portsmouth lost several key players in the summer and have still not manage to get a single point in the Premier League. But Everton have been poor away.
More than 2.5 goals.

Birmingham - Bolton
Birmingham have had an ok start at home, but I expect them to be fighting to avoid relegation this season. Bolton will be without Davis for this game.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Blackburn - Aston Villa
Villa won here last season and they have had a great start to this season. I believe Villa could win it again.
Aston Villa to win.

Liverpool - Hull
Liverpool and striker Fernando Torres have finally started to show some form and this game against Hull is a must-win for the Reds.
Liverpool to win with 0-1 handicap.

Stoke - Manchester United
Manchester United have superb form and are on a winning streak, but they face a strong host in this game. But this is one of the games United will have to win in order to keep up with Chelsea at the top.
More than 2.5 goals.

Tottenham - Burnley
Tottenham have been very strong at home, despite their defeat to Manchester United. This is a game they should win. Burnley are strong home but weak away.
Tottenham to win and Crouch to score.

Wigan - Chelsea
Chelsea are at the top of the table and have won all of their games so far and I believe it will stay the same after this game.
Chelsea to win.

Fulham - Arsenal
The Gunners have been struggling a bit lately but this game against Fulham I believe they can win. But it could be close.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Sunday -

Sunderland - Wolves
Sunderland are strong at home and Wolves failed to impress me against a weak Manchester United midweek in the Carling Cup. Sunderland should win this one.
Sunderland to win and more than 2.5 goals.

- Monday -

Manchester City - West Ham
Last season: 3-0
City are very strong, almost got away with a point from Old Trafford last weekend. City should win this game.
Manchester City to win.

Premier League 3, 4 and 5 October

- Saturday -

Bolton - Tottenham
Bolton: 2-1-3
Tottenham: 4-0-2
Last season: 3-2
Spurs have impressed me a lot at the start of this season and I believe they can manage to win this game over Bolton.
Tottenham to win.

Burnley - Birmingham
Burnley: 3-0-3
Birmingham: 1-1-4
Last season: 1-1 (Championship)
Burnley have been outstanding at home so far this season and I expect it is possible that it will continue in this game.
Burnley to win.

Hull - Wigan
Hull: 1-1-4
Wigan: 3-0-3
Last season: 0-5
Wigan made an impressive win here last season, but I believe it could be tougher for them this season.
More than 2.5 goals.

Wolves - Portsmouth
Wolves: 1-1-4
Portsmouth: 0-0-6
Portsmouth have had an catastrophic start to the season and are struggling to pay the wages to its players, despite their recent takeover. I believe they can struggle in this one as well.
Wolves to win.

Manchester United - Sunderland
Manchester United: 6-0-0
Sunderland: 4-0-2
Sunderland at home and Sunderland away are two different storries. I will be surprsied if United does not take all three points in this one.

- Sunday -

Arsenal - Blackburn
Arsenal: 4-0-2
Blackburn: 2-1-3
Last season: 4-0
The Gunners have shown very strong recently and I believe they should manage to be able to win this game with at least two goals.

Everton - Stoke
Everton: 3-0-3
Stoke: 1-2-3
Everton are very strong at home and I expect them to be able to win this game.
Everton to win and more than 2.5 goals.

West Ham - Fulham
West Ham: 1-1-4
Fulham: 2-0-4
The Hammers have struggled at the start of this season but Fulham have far from impressed like they did last season.
West Ham to win.

Chelsea - Liverpool
Chelsea: 5-0-1
Liverpool: 4-0-2
If Liverpool lose this one it will be their third defeat already. It is almost like the visitors will be forced to win it in order to keep up pace in the title race.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Monday -

Aston Villa - Manchester City
Aston Villa: 4-0-2
Manchester City: 5-0-1
Last season: 4-2
Villa have been strong at home but Manchester City have only lost one game so far and that is away to rivals United at Old Trafford.
Manchester City to win.

Premier League 17, 18 and 19 October

- Saturday -

Aston Villa - Chelsea
Villa Park
Kick-off: 12:45
Aston Villa: 4-1-1
Chelsea: 5-0-1
Last season: Chelsea 2 Villa 0; Villa 0 Chelsea 1.
Aston Villa (Probable, 4-4-2): Friedel; Cuéllar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock; Milner, Petrov, Sidwell, A Young; Carew, Agbonlahor.
Chelsea (Probable, 4-4-2): Cech; Ivanovic, Carvalho, Terry, A Cole; Ballack, Essien, Lampard, Deco; Anelka, Drogba.
Referee: Steve Bennett. Matches 6. R0 Y17.
Didier Drogba has shown very strong form and has six goals and five assists so far this season. I believe Drogba will score in this one.
Didier Drogba to score.

Arsenal - Birmingham
Emirates Stadium
Kick-off: 15:00
Arsenal: 4-0-2
Birmingham: 1-1-4
Last season: N/A.
Arsenal (Probable, 4-3-3): Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy; Fábregas, Song, Diaby; Rosicky, Van Persie, Arshavin
Birmingham City (Probable, 4-5-1): Hart; Carr, Johnson, Dann, Queudrue; Fahey, Ferguson, Tainio, Bowyer, McFadden; O'Connor.
Referee: Lee Probert. Matches 2. R0 Y11.
It has been 26 games since Birmingham lost by more than one goal, but Arsenal are on fire. The Gunners have scored four, four and six at home.

Everton - Wolves
Goodison Park
Everton: 3-1-2
Wolves: 1-1-4
Everton (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Howard; Hibbert, Heitinga, Distin, Baines; Osman, Rodwell, Cahill, Bilyaletdinov; Fellaini; Saha.
Wolves (Probable, 4-4-2): Hennessey; Foley, Mancienne, Berra, Elokobi; Halford, Edwards, Henry, Jarvis; Doyle, Keogh.
Referee: Stuart Atwell. Matches 2. R0 Y4.
Everton have two more points than at the same stage last season when they managed to finish fifth in the Premier League. Everton should win this game at home.
Everton to win.

Manchester United - Bolton
Old Trafford
Manchester United: 5-1-0
Bolton: 2-2-2
Last season: United 2 Bolton 0, Bolton 0 United 1.
Manchester United (Probable, 4-4-2): Van der Sar; O'Shea, R Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs; Berbatov, Wellbeck.
Bolton Wanderers (Probable, 4-3-3): Jaaskelainen; Ricketts, Cahill, Knight, Samuel; Gardner, Muamba, Cohen; Lee, K Davies, Taylor.
Referee: Mark Clattenburg. Matches 7. R1 Y23.
Manchester United will be looking to bounce back from their draw with Sunderland before the international break. I believe they will manage to do it when you take a look at the two teams.

Portsmouth - Tottenham
Fratton Park
Portsmouth: 1-0-5
Tottenham: 3-1-2
Last season: Portsmouth 2 Spurs 0, Spurs 1 Portsmouth 1.
Portsmouth (Probable, 4-5-1): James; Finnan, Wilson, Ben-Haim, Kaboul; Mokoena, Brown, Yebda, Boateng, Dindane; Smith.
Tottenham Hotspur (Probable, 4-4-2): Cudicini; Corluka, Bassong, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Jenas, Palacios, Kranjcar; Keane, Defoe.
Referee: Phil Dowd. Matches 6. R2 Y21.
Portsmouth have lost all four Premier League games at home so far this season, but won their first points at Wolves. Jamie O'Hara is on loan from Spurs and will miss the game for Portsmouth. Portsmouth have scored just four Premier League goals this season.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Stoke - West Ham
Britannia Stadium
Stoke: 1-3-2
West Ham: 0-2-4
Last season: West Ham 2 Stoke 1, Stoke 0 West Ham 1.
Stoke City (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Sorensen; Huth, Ab Faye, Shawcross, Collins; Delap, Diao, Whitehead, Etherington; Beattie; Kitson.
West Ham United (Probable, 4-3-3): Green; Faubert, Tomkins, Upson, Ilunga; Noble, Behrami, Jimenez; Diamanti, Cole, Hines.
Referee: Martin Atkinson. Matches 6. R0 Y24.
Stoke's last victory over West Ham at home came in October 1983. If the Hammers lose this game it will be their worst star to their Premier League campaign since the 2002-03 season.
Draw.

Sunderland - Liverpool
Stadium of Light
Sunderland: 3-1-2
Liverpool: 4-0-2
Last season: Sunderland 0 Liverpool 1, Liverpool 2 Sunderland 0.
Sunderland (Probable, 4-4-2): Gordon; Bardsley, Turner, Ferdinand, Richardson; Malbranque, Cattermole, Cana, Reid; Jones, Bent.
Liverpool (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Reina; Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua; Kuyt, Mascherano, Lucas, Riera; Gerrard; Torres.
Referee: Mick Jones. Matches 5. R0 Y17.
Liverpool won both meetings between these two last season. Sunderland's last victory over Liverpool was in December 2002 at home and they have not managed to get a win at Anfield since October 1983. Sunderland impressed me against Manchester United and could cause an upset in this game.
Draw.

- Sunday -

Blackburn - Burnley
Ewood Park
Kick-off: 13:00
Blackburn: 2-1-3
Burnley: 3-0-3
Blackburn Rovers (Probable, 4-4-1-1): Robinson; Jacobsen, Givet, Chimbonda, Olsson; Emerton, Andrews, Nzonzi, Diouf, Dunn; Dunn; Di Santo.
Burnley (Probable, 4-1-4-1): Jensen; Mears, Carlisle, Caldwell, Jordan; Alexander; Fletcher, Elliott, Bikey, Blake; Nugent.
Referee: Chris Foy. Matches 6. R0 Y15.
Burnley have been impressive at home but they have lost all four away matches and have not won on their travels since early April. Blackburn should be able to win here and the odds that are on offer a bet is good on this.
Blackburn to win.

Wigan - Manchester City
DW Stadium
Kick-off: 16:00
Wigan: 2-0-4
Manchester City: 4-1-1
Last season: Wigan 2 City 1, City 1 Wigan 0.
Wigan Athletic (Probable, 4-5-1): Kirkland; Melchiot, Boyce, Bramble, Figueroa; N'Zogbia, Diame, Thomas, Rodallega, Scharner; Scotland.
Manchester City (Probable, 4-4-2): Given; Richards, Lescott, Toure, Bridge; Wright-Phillips, Barry, De Jong, Ireland; Bellamy, Adebayor.
Referee: Alan Wiley. Matches 7. R2 Y21.
City have gone 52 games since they featured in a game without goals. City have suffered only one loss so far this season. Wigan have won their last two home games, against West Ham and Chelsea.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Monday -

Fulham - Hull
Craven Cottage
Kick-off: 20:00
Fulham: 1-1-4
Hull: 2-1-3
Last season: Hull 2 Fulham, Fulham 0 Hull 1.
Fulham (Probable, 4-4-2): Schwarzer; Pantsil, Hughes, Hangeland, Kelly; Gera, Etuhu, Murphy, Dempsey; Johnson, Zamora.
Hull City (Probable, 4-4-2): Myhill; Mouyokolo, Dawson, Zayatte, McShane; Hunt, Marney, Olofinjana, Geovanni; Ghilas, Hesselink.
Referee: Andre Marriner. Matches 5. R1 Y16.
Both clubs are struggling with poor form. Fulham have taken just one point from three games. Last season Hull won both games against Fulham. I believe this will be a very close one.
Less than 2.5 goals.