Topic: Champions League picks and previews 2010-11

In this thread I will post different picks, previews and info during this Uefa Champions League campaign.

Please be free to comment my picks or post your own picks smile

Re: Champions League picks and previews 2010-11

Champions League picks and previews 17 and 18 August

- Tuesday -

Zenit - Auxerre
Russian giants Zenit St Petersburg are very strong and have shown good form in the domestic league recently, while Auxerre's season has just begun.
Zenit to win.

Rosenborg - FC Copenhagen
Rosenborg impressed against AIK, but they meet the team that many rates as the best in Scandinavia. But I believe the Norwegians will win this game.
Rosenborg to win.

Young Boys - Tottenham
Tottenham have just gotten their season underway, but will be desperate for a win in this one in order to get into the Champions League group stage.
Tottenham to win.

- Wednesday -

Braga - Sevilla
Sevilla should be a much better team thant Braga and I believe the Spaniards will be able to win this one.
Sevilla to win.

Bremen - Sampdoria
German teams are often strong in Europe, but Sampdoria are a strong team as well. I believe it will be close between these two as the Italians will be happy to keep it goalless.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Partizan - Anderlecht
Partizan are very strong at home and I expect this to be a very though one for Anderlecht. Should be close.
Partizan to win.

Champions League picks and previews 14 and 15 September

- Tuesday -

Barcelona - Panathinaikos
I would be very surprised if Barcelona at home fail to beat Panathinaikos at the Camp Nou.
Barcelona to win with 0-1 handicap.

Benfica - H. Tel Aviv
Both teams have been involed in games with a fair bunch of goals recently and I believe this is the safest pick from this game.
More than 2.5 goals.

Bremen - Tottenham
Bremen are strong and managed a goalless game away to Bayern Munich on Saturday. I believe this will be a close on with many goals.
More than 2.5 goals.

Bursaspor - Valencia
Bursaspor have had a great start to the season, but Valencia have been pritty decent as well. Should be close.
Less than 2.5 goals.

FC Copenhagen - Kazan
FC Copenhagen are strong at home, but they face one of the best Russian sides in this one, but I believe the Danes could surprise in this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

Lyon - Schalke
Lyon have failed to impress me in Ligue 1 so far this season, but they are a strong team at home and Schalke have been terrible in the Bundesliga.
Lyon to win.

Manchester United - Rangers
Manchester United should and I believe will have no problems beating Scottish giants Rangers in this one at home at Old Trafford.
Manchester United to win and More than 2.5 goals.

Twente - Inter
Twente are strong and have had a good start to the season, but Inter Milan should be able to win this game. I believe many goals is the best pick in this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Wednesday -

AC Milan - Auxerre
AC Milan have a team full of big name forwards, but they face a decent team in this one. But the Rossoneri should realy win this one.
AC Milan to win.

Arsenal - Braga
Arsenal needs points at home in order to go through to the next stage of the Champions League and should be able to win this one.
Arsenal to win.

Bayern - AS Roma
Bayern Munich have a very strong team and at home I believe they will be to strong for the Italians.
Bayern to win.

CFR Cluj - Basel
Cluj are a strong team but they have not impressed me with their result from the domestic league and Basel could manage to get something from this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

Marseille - Sp. Moscow
Spartak Moscow are strong, but they lost 3-0 here when they face Marseille in the Uefa cup in 2008. Should be closer, but Marseille should be favorites.
More than 2.5 goals.

Real Madrid - Ajax
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho have been good in the Champions League with both Porto and Inter Milan and he should be able to win this game with Real.
Real Madrid to win.

Shakhtar - Partizan
Shakhtar are a strong team, but they face another strong Eastern European side in this one. I believe it could be close, but the hosts should win.
Shakhtar to win.

Zilina - Chelsea
Ok. Do not underestimate any of the teams in the Champions League. But if Chelsea do not manage to win this one, they have nothing to do in the Champions League!
Chelsea to win wtih 1-0 handicap.

Barcelona vs Panathinaikos

Head-to-head record - Played: 4. Wins: Barcelona 2, Panathinaikos 1, draws 1

"We normally play faster, and we couldn't get the ball circulating," Barcelona left back Eric Abidal said. "But it'll be a different game on Tuesday against Panathinaikos. We have to forget this one as quickly as possible."

Panathinaikos have lost only one of their last six CL games, winning three of them.

Last edited by litlio (2010-09-14 10:27:58)

Werder Bremen vs Tottenham Hotspur

Champions League Group A
Weserstadion
Tuesday Sept 14 2010
Kick-off 19.45 BST
On TV: Sky Sports 4

Tottenham Hotspur (probable, 4-2-3-1): Cudicini; Corluka, King, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto; Palacios, Huddlestone; Lennon, Van der Vaart, Bale; Crouch.

Werder Bremen (probable, 4-2-3-1): Wiese; Fritz, Prodl, Pasanen, Silvestre; Frings, Bargfrede; Marin, Wesley, Hunt; Arnautovic.

Referee: M Busacca (Switzerland)

Benfica vs H. Tel Aviv

Benfica are unbeaten in their last seven European home games of which they have won six. They scored 20 goals in those seven matches and conceded only three.

Lyon vs Schalke

Schalke lost their last three CL matches without scoring despite reaching the quarter-finals three seasons ago.

Lyon have lost their last three games without scoring a goal.

Manchester United vs Rangers

Champions League Group C
Old Trafford
Tuesday Sept 14 2010
Kick-off 19.45 BST
On TV: Sky Sports 2

Manchester United (probable, 4-3-3): Van der Sar; Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Fletcher, Scholes, O’Shea; Rooney, Berbatov, Nani.

Rangers (probable, 4-5-1): McGregor; Foster, Bougherra, Weir, Papac; Naismith, Davis, Edu, McCulloch, Whittaker; Miller.

Referee: O. Benquerenca (Portugal)

Lyon vs Schalke

Lyon's Probable Starting XI: Lloris; Reveillere, Lovren, Diahkate, Kolodziejczak; Toulalan, Makoun; Briand, Gourcuff, Michel Bastos; Lisandro

Schalke's Probable Starting XI: Neuer; Sarpei, Plestan, Hoewedes, Schmitz; Jones, Matip; Farfan, Raul, Rakitic - Huntelaar

Lyon's last five games:
Sep 11, 2010    O. Lyon 1 - Valenciennes FC 1    Ligu
Aug 28, 2010    FC Lorient 2 - O. Lyon 0    Ligu
Aug 21, 2010    O. Lyon 1 - Stade Brestois 29 0    Ligu
Aug 15, 2010    SM Caen 3 - O. Lyon 2    Ligu
Aug 7, 2010    O. Lyon 0 - AS Monaco FC 0    Ligu

Schalke's last five games:
Sep 10, 2010    TSG Hoffenheim 2 - Schalke 04 0    1. B
Aug 28, 2010    Schalke 04 1 - Hannover 96 2    1. B
Aug 21, 2010    Hamburg 2 - Schalke 04 1    1. B
Aug 16, 2010    VfR Aalen 1 - Schalke 04 2    DFBP
Aug 7, 2010    Bayern Munich 2 - Schalke 04 0    Germ

Copenhagen vs Rubin Kazan

Copenhagen's Probable Starting XI: Wiland; Pospech, Ottesen, Antonson, Wendt; Vingaard, Kvist, Claudemir, Gronkjaer; N’Doye, Santin

Rubin Kazan's Probable Starting XI: Ryzhikov; Kuzmin, Orekhov, Bocchetti, Ansaldi; Kasaev, Noboa, Eduardo, Gorbanets; Medvedev, Martins

Copenhagen's last five games:
Aug 25, 2010    Copenhagen 1 - Rosenborg 0    UCL
Aug 17, 2010    Rosenborg 2 - Copenhagen 1    UCL
Aug 4, 2010    Copenhagen 3 - BATE 2    UCL
Jul 28, 2010    BATE 0 - Copenhagen 0    UCL
Feb 25, 2010    Marseille 3 - Copenhagen 1    EL

Rubin Kazan's last five games:
Mar 18, 2010    VfL Wolfsburg 2 - Rubin 1    EL
Mar 11, 2010    Rubin 1 - VfL Wolfsburg 1    EL
Feb 25, 2010    Hapoel 0 - Rubin 0    EL
Feb 18, 2010    Rubin 3 - Hapoel 0    EL
Dec 9, 2009    Inter Milan 2 - Rubin 0    UCL