Topic: Carling Cup picks and previews 2010/2011

In this topic I will write my picks for the games in the Carling Cup. I will also post some team news now and then and some other types of information.

Hopefully you guys will join the discussions smile

Re: Carling Cup picks and previews 2010/2011

Carling Cup 26 and 27 October

- Tuesday -

Birmingham - Brentford
Birmingham will be desperate to to far in the Carling Cup as they are not expected to be fighting for European action for next season.
Birmingham to win.

Wigan - Swansea
Wigan have been pritty decent in the Premier League recently and I would expect them to be able to win this game.
Wigan to win.

Manchester United - Wolves
Manchester United are strong as usually but Sir Alex is expected to use a lot of younger players in this one, as he usually does in the Carling Cup. But I expect United to win.
Manchester United to win.

Leicester - West Brom
West Brom have been very good recently and I expect them to have a chance in this one. But Sven Goran Eriksson and his Leicester team will be desperate to get something from this one.
More than 2.5 goals.

- Wednesday -

Aston Villa - Burnley
Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier will be keen to bring his team to the Carling Cup final and they could have a chance in this one.
Aston Villa to win.

Newcastle - Arsenal
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger does usually use a lot of youngsters in the Carling Cup and I expect them to struggle against Newcastle in this one.
Newcastle to win.

West Ham - Stoke
West Ham managed to get a 1-1 win from their meeting away to Stoke in the Premier League this season, but the visitors are strong. Should be a close one.
Less than 2.5 goals.

Manchester United vs Wolves

Manchester United's Probable starting XI: Kuszczak; Rafael, Smalling, Brown, Fabio; Bebe, Gibson, Anderson, Obertan; Owen, Macheda.

Manchester United's last five:
Oct 24, 2010    Stoke 1 - Man Utd. 2    EPL
Oct 20, 2010    Man Utd. 1 - Bursaspor 0    UCL
Oct 16, 2010    Man Utd. 2 - West Bromwich 2    EPL
Oct 2, 2010    Sunderland 0 - Man Utd. 0    EPL
Sep 29, 2010    Valencia 0 - Man Utd. 1    UCL

Wolves' Probable starting XI: Hennessey; Stearman, Mancienne, Mouyokolo, Elokobi; Foley, Jones, Milijas, Hunt; Ebanks-Blake, Bent.

Wolves' last five:
Oct 23, 2010    Chelsea 2 - Wolves 0    EPL
Oct 16, 2010    Wolves 1 - West Ham 1    EPL
Oct 2, 2010    Wigan Athletic 2 - Wolves 0    EPL
Sep 26, 2010    Wolves 1 - Aston Villa 2    EPL
Sep 21, 2010    Wolves 4 - Notts County F.C. 2    Carl

West Ham - Stoke

West Ham's Possible Starting XI: Stech; Faubert, Tomkins, Da Costa, Ben Haim; Barrera, Noble, Parker, Boa Morte; Obinna, McCarthy.

West Ham's last five:
Oct 23, 2010    West Ham 1 - Newcastle 2    EPL
Oct 16, 2010    Wolves 1 - West Ham 1    EPL
Oct 2, 2010    West Ham 1 - Fulham 1    EPL
Sep 25, 2010    West Ham 1 - Tottenham 0    EPL
Sep 21, 2010    Sunderland 1 - West Ham 2    Carl

Stoke's Possible Starting XI: Begovic; Wilkinson, Huth, Shawcross, Higginbotham; Whitehead, Whelan, Diao, Tuncay; Gudjohnsen, Walters.

Stoke's last five:
Oct 24, 2010    Stoke 1 - Man Utd. 2    EPL
Oct 16, 2010    Bolton 2 - Stoke 1    EPL
Oct 2, 2010    Stoke 1 - Blackburn 0    EPL
Sep 26, 2010    Newcastle 1 - Stoke 2    EPL
Sep 21, 2010    Stoke 2 - Fulham 0    Carl

Man Utd vs Wolves line-ups are as follows:

Man Utd: Amos, Brown, Smalling, Evans, Fabio Da Silva, Obertan, Carrick, Gibson, Park, Macheda, Bebe. Subs: Kuszczak, Neville, Hernandez, Rafael Da Silva, Brady, Eikrem, Morrison.

Wolves: Hennessey, Foley, Mouyokolo, Berra, Elokobi, Hunt, Mancienne, David Jones, Jarvis, Ebanks-Blake, Fletcher. Subs: Hahnemann, Van Damme, Edwards, Stearman, Bent, Milijas, Doyle.

Aston Villa vs Burnley

- Villa have won 49 of the 113 previous meetings between these clubs - 10 more than Burnley.

- They last met in the League Cup in 2005, when Villa won a third-round match against the Clarets - a year after being knocked out by them at the same stage of the competition.

- Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier twice won the League Cup during his time as Liverpool boss, with the 2001 triumph against Birmingham his first trophy in charge of the Anfield club.

West Ham vs Stoke

- West Ham have won 31 of the 79 previous matches between these clubs - two more than Stoke.

- They last met in the League Cup 20 years ago, when West Ham won a second-round tie 5-1 on aggregate.

- The Hammers beat Sunderland in the third round, eliminating a Premier League team from the League Cup for the first time since 1997.

Newcastle vs Arsenal

- Newcastle have won 65 - one more than Arsenal - of the 165 previous meetings between these clubs.

- Arsenal are unbeaten in their last seven cup matches against the Magpies. The Geordies have not won a cup match against the Gunners since beating them in the 1952 FA Cup final.

- In their previous three meetings in the League Cup, Arsenal defeated Newcastle 2-0 in 1996 and 2007, and 4-0 in 1971.

Carling Cup results 27/10

After ET     Aston Villa    2 - 1 (1 - 1)    Burnley    (0 - 0)       
Newcastle    0 - 4    Arsenal    (0 - 1)       
After ET    West Ham    3 - 1 (1 - 1)    Stoke    (0 - 1)

well .. what can I say litlio, I was surprised by the Newcastle - Arsenal result. only 1 correct pick is a bit too poor. But the cups are always difficult to predict.