Topic: Champions League picks week 38

- Tuesday -

Barcelona - Sporting Lisbon
Barcelona have had a very poor start to their La Liga season while Sporting have had a good start to their season. But Barca would be desperate to win this match.
Barcelona to win.

Chelsea - Bordeaux
Chelsea were in the CL final last season and at home against Bordeaux they should be able to win. I also believe there is a good chance that there will be more than 2.5 goals in this match. Chelsea have impressed so far this season in the Premiership.
Chelsea to win and more than 2.5 goals.

Basel - Shakhtar Donetsk
Shakhtar have impressed away from home in the CL qualification, but Basel are pritty strong.
Draw.

Werder Bremen - Anorthosis Famagusta
Anorthosis Famagusta is the first team from Cyprus to ever have been in the CL and Werder Bremen at home should win this match and with more than one goal.
Werder Bremen to win with 0-1 handicap and more than 2.5 goals.

Marseille - Liverpool
The last time these two teams met in a similar meeting Liverpool won 0-4. Gerrard and Torres should be back for this one for Liverpool. Gerrard came on as a sub in the match against Manchester United, while Torres stayed on the bench.
Liverpool win.

Panathinaikos - Inter Milan
Inter have not had a to good start to their season in the Serie A, and I believe they can find it a bit hard away against Panathinaikos.
Draw.

PSV Eindhoven - Atletico Madrid
Atletico have a good team, but are better at home than away. I believe this will be a close match.
Draw.

AS Roma - CFR Cluj
Roma have struggled so far in the Serie A but at home in the CL they will almost be forced to win if they want to go trough to the next round, and they probably will win to against this Romanian team.
Roma to win.

- Wednesday -

Dynamo Kyiv - Arsenal
Dynamo Kyiv crushed Spartak Moscow in the Champions League qualifier and I believe they can put up a good fight against the Gunners.
Draw.

Manchester United - Villarreal
The two meetings between these two in 2005 ended both in goalless draws. Manchester United will be desperate to win in front of their fans, following their 2-1 defeat at Liverpool on Saturday.
Manchester United to win with 0-1 handicap.

Porto - Fenerbahce
Fenerbahce are like most Turkish teams better at home than away from home.
Porto win.

Lyon - Fiorentina
Lyon have a good team and Fiorentina have failed to impress recently. The French side should win this match.
Lyon to win.

Real Madrid - BATE Borisov
Real Madrid should not have any problems winning with at least one goal against this team from Belarus.
Real Madrid to win with 0-1 handicap.

Steaua Bucuresti - Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich are a much better team than Steaua Bucuresti and should be able to win this one, eventough it is away from home.
Bayern Munich win.

Juventus - Zenit
Zenit are very strong and proved that against Manchester United in the Super Cup. I believe it will be a close call this one.
Draw.

Celtic - Aalborg
This is a match Celtic should win without no problem at all. Aalborg have failed to impress recently and the Scottish giants should win this one.
Celtic to win.

Re: Champions League picks week 38

I will definitely take Chelsea and AS Roma for the wins. Their opponents - Bordeaux and Cfr Cluj aren't the best one, and they should have a good start of the competition. But the odds aren't high here. The same with Barcelona gainst Sporting Lissabon - The Catalans have to win something this month smile

I will try also Celtic against Aalborg. Both teams play a hard football, but Celtic is on a higher level. They are more experienced in Europe and will definitely want to win the first game of the season.

Real Madrid against Bate Borisov is good for a handicap or over 2,5. Bate will definitely be a bit scared before their first game, and Real having a really strong group with Juventus and Zenit will definitely want 3 points here.

I'm not sure of Liverpool. The Reds always have a problem with getting out of the group. This season they will focus on the Premie League. It may be a draw against Marseille.

Bayern Munchen should win in their come back to top flight - Steaua is really poor.

The rest is a bit risky, I count for a draw in Lyon against Fiorentina and Porto - Fenerbahce. Arsenal will have a hard game against Dynamo Kiev. The weather in Poland is awful so I believe in Kiev it will be even worse. I thing it will be near to 0 degrees. Hard one for young Arsenal players.

I agree with the Liverpool things you say mike... when you say "The Reds always have a problem with getting out of the group." it makes me thing.. damn this guy knows his things. I fully agree with you draw or even a risky Marseille to win. Have you guys seen any matches with Marseille lately???

Don't agree with you mike in the Lyon against Fiorentina clash, the French side should be able to win that match.

But great information and picks HakonHoy and mike wink

Results today:

Barcelona 3 - 1 Sporting
Basel 1 - 2 Shakhtar
Bremen 0 - 0 Anorthosis
Chelsea 4 - 0 Bordeaux
Marseille 1 - 2 Liverpool
Panathinaikos 0 - 2 Inter
PSV 0 - 3 Atl. Madrid
Roma 1 - 2 CFR Cluj

were a couple of upsets today, including CFR Cluj who beat Roma and Anorthosis who held Bremen to a draw in Germany!!

I could expect a draw in Bremen but what has Roma done!! this is amazing. Shakhtar did well to beat Basel. Nice result for them. Atletico did impress me, but it seems that PSV will be a boy to beat this year.

A quick update on my picks:

I decided to give a chance to Man U. Villareal is not in top form. They only got a draw in their first away game of the season against Osasuna. Man U also didn't play the best lately loosing against Liverpool and Zenit. And that's the reason why the current champs will do their best today.

I also stay with the pick on Celtic against Aalborg. Both teams play similar style, and Celtic is better on in. Home win is on here smile

My third bet will be Real - Bate with over 2,5 goals.

I will not try Porto - Fenerbahce and Lyon - Fiorentina - believe in draws here.

Results today:

Celtic 0 - 0 Aalborg
D. Kiev 1 - 1 Arsenal
FC Porto 3 - 1 Fenerbahce
Juventus 1 - 0 Zenit
Lyon 2 - 2 Fiorentina
Manchester Utd 0 - 0 Villarreal
Real Madrid 2 - 0 BATE
Steaua Bucharest 0 - 1 Bayern

Actually a couple of surprises here today as well!.. Lots of draws

Celtic should won have won this one. But what you can do when you fail to score from a penalty shot.
Manchester was disappointing. Without Ronaldo and Scholes this team will have big problems. And who knows when Ronaldo will come back to form.

As I expected Arsenal failed to win in Kiev and the draw of Lyon - Fiorentina also earned some smile

But Celtic, Man U, and Real with just two goals made it not so good for me wink